Here are some ways you or your company can help assure CRAB’s continued service to the disabled and disadvantaged citizens of the Chesapeake Bay region.
Donate Online – The Donate Now link to the right is an easy way to make a safe and secure donation to CRAB right now.
Donate by mail - You can send a check to CRAB:
Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating
P.O. Box 6564
Annapolis, MD 21401
Encourage your company to make a cash or in-kind donation to us.
Donate a used boat that’s in good shape (no holes in the hull, no splintered masts, no sharks in the bilge…) and we’ll use the proceeds from its sale to help fund our programs.
An IRS From 8283 will be furnished to the donor by CRAB, along with a letter acknowledging the gift, using the language and data of the Donor’s dedicatory letter.
Please call the CRAB office at (410) 626-0273 to discuss your boat donation.
Tips on donating your used boat:
- Consult with a tax professional. While your donation to CRAB is tax deductible on a Federal return, tax laws change and everyone’s situation is different
- Gather any literature or documentation that you may have regarding the boat
- Sign over the title to CRAB, Inc. or to Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating, Inc. and write “charitable donation” in place of the dollar consideration.
- Coast Guard documentation, if applicable, must be given to CRAB at the time of donation
- As of January 1, 2005 the tax law has changed. Donors of boats may only claim the value that the donee (CRAB) sells it for at the time of disposal. This may take a while and CRAB must submit an IRS form 8282 to the donor with a copy the IRS after the sale. Donor is required to furnish Social Security number for this form. Some exceptions exist, wherein the donor can claim full market value and a tax expert should be consulted for specifics.
- Write a dedicatory letter that includes identifying information such as serial number, hull number, transom codes, make and model, etc. – for example: “1974 Bermuda 40, by Henry R. Hinckley, Hull# HRH B40974143″ – plus registration numbers. If a trailer or outboard motor is included, serial numbers, make and model should also be in the letter. Finally, provide, in the letter, an inventory of equipment included with the boat – sails, anchors, electronic gear, etc.
CRAB will provide documentation of its non-profit status to Donors who request it.
Buy one of our donated boats – we’ll use the proceeds to help fund our programs. We have a list of boats currently for sale.